Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Journal by Beth Harlow - A Book Review

I love to read anything that has to do with the Civil War.  I have always been intrigued by this period in time and personal journals have always interested me as well.  Although The Journal by Beth Harlow is a fictional journal it is well written and gives personal insight as to what soldiers may have went through during this time.  

It is a short and quick read and if you are a homeschooler I think it would be a great book to integrate into your study of the Civil War.  The book is centered around God which is refreshing and I think it would be appropriate for all age levels.  

More about the book:

A confederate soldier is given a journal from his wife in 1861 before he leaves for war.  Over the next four years the journal changes hands several times and even crosses battle lines.  Each person reads the accounts of those who wrote in it beforehand and then adds their own thoughts.  The first soldier who had it is a christian and and there are a couple after him that are as well and others learn about God and even find salvation through the writings of those before them.  

The entire book is a collection of journal entries from various soldiers and covers some of the major battles of the Civil war for a personal point of view and from both sides.  The only negative I can say about the book is that it is too short. I would of loved to have read more journal entries!  Good job Beth Harlow!!

***This book was provided to me through the book crash book review program in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment