Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Tattler's Branch - Book Review

Lilly Corbett Still has grown to love her life as the small-town doctor of Skip Rock, a tiny coal community in the Kentucky mountains. Though her husband, Tern, is away for a few months at a mining job, Lilly has her hands full with her patients and her younger sister visiting for the summer.

Lilly turns to her good friend and neighbor, Armina, to help keep things in order—until a mysterious chain of events leaves Armina bedridden and an abandoned baby on her doorstep. Lilly works to uncover the truth, unaware of what a mess she’s found herself in until a break-in at her clinic puts her on high alert. As she struggles between what is right and what is safe, Lilly must discover the strength of her resilient country neighbors, her God, and herself.

I did not realize this book was part of a series until I was finished with it, so even if you don't want to read the series this book works fine as a stand alone book. I was in no way "lost" about the events or the characters. I did however find it slow paced.

The first chapter I was captivated. I thought it was going to be a great "can't wait to turn the page" book, but after the first chapter the story line took a different turn. It became very slow paced, very detailed with too many details about doctor procedures that in my opinion were irrelevant to the story line. It was not until the last third of the book that the story started to pick up and really grabbed my attention again.

I really did enjoy the last part of the book and it even made me want to read the first book in the series to see how Lilly and Tern's love story began. I'll give it a try and sure hope it's not as slow as this one.

***This book was provided to me by Tyndale Publishing in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment