Monday, March 1, 2021

The Moonlight School







The Moonlight School by Suzanne Woods Fisher has made it to my favorites shelf.  I fell in love with this story and was captivated from the start.  The story is inspired by true events which always makes it so much more enjoyable for me. I loved the "Acknowledgements" that the author included at the end of the book where she shared where she got her inspiration to write the novel. I always enjoy little tidbits like that.  After reading this amazing novel I need to go to my library and do some more reading and research on Moonlight Schools.

If you are planning on reading this book this month you should join the Facebook group called Beyond the Book.  It's a virtual book club group where discussion questions are given each week and many times the authors participate as well.  This month the chosen book is The Moonlight School.  I'm really excited to discuss this book and see what others thought of it as well.

Haunted by personal tragedy, Lucy Wilson arrives in Rowan County, Kentucky in the spring of 1911 to assist her cousin, Cora Wilson Stewart, superintendent of schools.  A fish out of water, Lucy is appalled by the primitive conditions and intellectual poverty she encounters. 

Born in these very hills, Cora knows the twin plagues of illiteracy and poverty.  So does Brother Wyatt, a singing school master who travels through the hills.  Involving Lucy and Wyatt, Cora hatches a plan to open the schoolhouses to adults on moonlit nights.  The best way to combat poverty, she believes, is to eliminate illiteracy.  But will the people come?

As Lucy emerges from a life in the shadows, she finds purpose, along with something else she hadn't expected...love. 

***Thanks to Revell for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange form my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment