This is an online copycat recipe of Olive Garden's chocolate lasagna that they no longer make. There are a couple of variations you will find but I like this one because it is the easiest. Tip: a cake slicer makes cutting the layers super easy. Mine is from "Wilton" I found it at Walmart in the craft section with all their "Wilton" products. Also: Duncan Hines brand cake mix did not turn out as well the one time I tried it
1 18.25 oz box devil food cake mix
1 1/4 c. water
1/3 c. oil
1 1/2 c butter - softened
4 c. powder sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
also needed: 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate - cut up in tiny pieces
Preheat oven to 350 deg.
1. Make cake following instructions on box. (Use box ingredients if different from above)
2. Generously grease 2 round cake pans; bake cake and cool completely.
3. Make frosting- whip the soft butter with mixer at high speed. Add two cups of the powdered sugar, mix well, then add remaining powdered sugar. Add 1/4 c. milk & vanilla, then mix on high speed 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
4. Slice through cake making a total of 4 layers.
5. Frost between each later gradually increasing amount of icing as you near the top...after frosting sprinkle each layer with semi-sweet chocolate pieces.
Store in the fridge...set out to room temp before you eat...or pop in the microwave (one slice at a time) just a couple of sec's to take chill off