Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Final Harvest

 The cold air has moved in this week and there is a chance of the temperatures getting down to freezing one night this week so I decided I would harvest some of my herbs for the last time of the season.   I almost hated cutting down the beautiful blooming lavender.  It looked the prettiest it has all season.  I am guessing that is because we have had such a hot summer and the last month or so the weather has been perfect.  My pineapple sage was just beginning to bloom with beautiful red flowers and my calendula has blooms that were just beginning to open.  I decided to leave them alone and hopefully the cold air won't affect them because I am really wanting to harvest them and make some calendula salve. 

My mom purchase a close drying rack at a yard sale for 75 cents and it is perfect for drying herbs.  I harvested plenty today and I can't wait to add them to the already dried herbs, but right now I am enjoying how beautiful they all look hanging on the rack!  We are going to have plenty of herbs this winter for cooking, teas and much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment