Tuesday, April 2, 2013

All In Good Time - A Book Review

About the book:

Dessa Caldwell has a dream to open Pierson House a refuge for former prostitutes, in Denver's roughest neighborhood.  After exhousting all charitable donations, Dessa still needs a loan.  her last hope hinges on the owner of Hawkins National Bank.

Henry Hawkins owns the most successful bank in town, but he has a secret.  His initial capital came from three stagecoach robberies.  To protect his past, he's built a fortress around his heart that no one can penetrate...until the day Dessa Caldwell ventures into his bank requesting a loan.

Though Henry is drawn to Dessa's passion, that same passion drives her to make rash decisions about Pierson House....and about whom she can trust.  One man might hold the key to the future of her mission-but he also threatens to bring Henry's darkest secrets to light.  As the walls around their hearts begin to crumble, Henry and Dessa must choose between their plans and God's, between safety and love.

My Thoughts:

I have mixed emotions about this book.  I thought the character's where interesting and the story line was good, but at times I felt it was a little slow paced and I had a hard time getting into the story.  Its starts with a Prologue and you read about Henry robbing a stage coach.  I was instantly entertained and thought it would be a great story, but when I began to read the chapters it didn't have the same "zing" for me as the prologue did.  I absolutely loved Bees in the Butterfly Garden by Maureen Lang so maybe I set the bar for this book too high.  Dessa really is a great character and  I thought it was kind of humorous how she was so over-zealous about her mission that sometimes it clouded her thinking and judgement.  I also enjoyed reading as Henry's cold heart begin to soften.  Another thing I love about Maureen Lang's writing style is how she intertwines a deep faith in God into the story.  All in all I would  say it is a good book.  Not great, but good.

***This book was provided to me by Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment