Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Luther and Katharina - A Book Review

Jody Hedlund is one of my favorite authors.  Luther and Katharina has been another reminder of why I love this author!  It is historical romance at it's finest.  I love the way Mrs. Hedlund weaves true historic events into a fictional story.  Included in the back of the book is an "Author's Note" that shares a little more true to life history and how much of the book is based on true facts.

The book is about Martin Luther, the leader of the Catholic church reformation and Katharina von Bora.  Luther has been excommunicated from the Catholic church and his writings, which condemn a cloistered life and promote marriage as a good and godly thing, are deemed illegal for reading.  After Katharina and some of the nuns at Marinthron read Luther's letters they are convinced that they want a better life.  One that offer's love and marriage, so with Katharina leading them, a group of nuns escape.  Abbot Batazar is enraged and relentless in his search for the nuns.  They take refuge at Martin Luther's home.  Sparks fly between Luther and Katharina.  They are complete opposites and it seems like trouble is all around them.  Luther's life is being threatened and he doesn't want to risk anyone else's life.  Katharina longs for love and longs for Luther.  She is very strong willed and the two of them form a bond that sees them through the hardest of times.

Together, they alter the religious landscape forever.

This time period is not one that I normally choose to read about, but as I stated before, Jody Hedlund is one of my favorites and I could not pass up one of her novels.  I am so glad I didn't.  I really learned a lot about the history of the Catholic church and found it very interesting.  I would definitely recommend this book!

***This book was provided to me by Blogging for Books in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment