Sunday, September 20, 2015

Only with Blood - A Book Review

Only with Blood is a novel about Ireland in the 1940's.  There is a lot of history interweaved into this fictional story and I learned some things about Ireland that I didn't know prior to reading this book.  It touches on the struggle that Ireland faced during the Second World War between the Irish and the British.  This was the main thing that attracted me to this book.  I have always been interested in Ireland and I was anxious to read a novel rich in the history of this country.

I found the characters of Only with Blood fairly interesting.  Caitlin is a young, attractive girl that has big plans for her future.  She wants to go to a University to further her education, but her father sells her to Jack Flynn, a farmer who is twice her age.  Jack is a farmer and he wants a wife who can bare him sons, sons that he can inherit his land once he is gone.  Caitlin resents Jack and the obedience that has been forced on her.  Then there is Donal Kelly.  He is determined to set Caitlin free from Jack and goes to great lengths to do so.

Even though the story line was pretty good there was one thing that really bothered me about this book...the language.  When I request a christian fiction book I expect to get a book that is written with standards.  I know that different people believe different ways, but bad words do NOT belong in a christian book.  It is hard for me to understand how this book was even classified as christian.  Within the first few pages there were a couple curse words and I thought and hoped it would end there, but it didn't.  For that reason alone, I cannot recommend this book to others.

***This book was provided to me through Kregel's blog review program.

No comments:

Post a Comment