Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Make Your Own Ugly Christmas Sweater

Ugly Christmas sweater parties are so much fun this time of year, but have you seen the prices on those ugly sweaters?  I don't know about you, but I don't want to pay a high price for an ugly Christmas sweater that will probably only be worn once during what happens to be the most expensive month of the year.

When my daughter's youth group decided to wear ugly Christmas sweaters to the youth Christmas party I knew what I had to do!  Make one!  I'm really not sure who was more excited.  Bethany was super excited about the party and getting to wear an ugly sweater and I was super excited for the chance to make one.  I have had this idea for a while now, but never had a reason to make it!

Bethany actually found out that she was going to be able to go the party a day before the actual event.  She was originally supposed to work that evening, but plans changed.  We made a quick trip to Goodwill and Dollar General for supplies.
At Goodwill we found a men's green shirt.  We wanted something pretty large because I knew we would need something big for the hoop at the bottom.  For the hoop I used an old canopy I had.  You know the kind, the one's for a little girls bedroom covered with tulle.  Anyway, I sewed the hoop in using the sewing machine and we hot glued the rest of the items in place.  We had some gold garland and some ugly ornaments all purchased at Dollar General.  With the shirt costing $3.00 and the Garland and ornaments totaling $5.00 I was able to complete the whole project for under $10.00.

It turned out super ugly and she won first prize!

On our way there she had to ride in the back seat because the hoop was so big and and she was not able to put the shoulder seat belt on.  Don't worry, I was still parked when I took the pic!
We had to make a quick run into Walmart.  This picture may end up on the people of Walmart site.  I mean really..who goes shopping dressed like a tree?  But hey, if people can wear pajamas to Walmart...

We had five different people approach us and compliment her ugliness.  In fact several one person started by saying "you won"!  They were right!



No comments:

Post a Comment