Thursday, August 6, 2020

Under The Tulip Tree by Michelle Shocklee



Under the Tulip Tree by Michelle ShockleeLorena (Rena) Leland's family has lost everything during the depression.  A matter of fact, it was Lorena's 16'th birthday that the crash took place.  She never got her celebration and her birthday has since been marked with the tragic events that changed the course of her once wealthy families life.  

Fast forward a few years, her family is still struggling, barely making ends meet.  Rena is an out of work reporter.  President Roosevelt has created the Federal Writer's Project for out of work writers and Rena gets a job working for the government.  Her assignment is to interview former slaves as a way to preserve their stories and history.  

Rena does not expect her life to be changed through these interviews, but when she meets Frances (Frankie) Washington, a 101 year old former slave, Rena's life is forever changed.  Rena's family is less than thrilled about her new job and she is beginning to see that racism is still a part of her world.  

The story jumps between Rena's present day life and 70 years prior as Frankie shares her story.  

It has been a while since a book had such a big effect on me.  I stayed up all night reading because I couldn't stop and tears were shed.  It is so beautifully written and at such a time where we are dealing with high racial tensions in our own world, this was a timely read.  

I was not aware of President Roosevelt's efforts to do this and I enjoyed learning that bit of history!  That is one thing I always enjoy from a historical fiction read.   I love when I am able to gain knowledge of real historical events.

 It also shares a great message of God's love and forgiveness.  I really can't recommend this book enough!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this amazing book.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment