Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mamma's Cocoa Gravy

There's nothing better on a cold winter's night than a bowl of chocolate gravy for dinner.  My mom fixed it when I was a child, a recipe, or should I say a skill that was passed down by her mother.   As an adult I asked my mom for the recipe.  Her response... "I don't have a recipe, I just make it."  So I did what any desperate cocoa gravy lover would do, I asked her to make it while I watched so I could write it down.  After all this was too great of a thing to be lost in time only to be recalled as a favorite childhood memory. 


Trust me when I say this recipe is going to put a smile on your face.  If you are someone who has been denied the joy of chocolate gravy, try to resist the temptation of grabbing the phone and calling your mom or maybe even your grandma to ask her why she never fixed it for you.   Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they've never heard of it.   Fortunately for you it's never too late to make up for lost time.  Make yourself up some homemade biscuits and a batch of this yummy treat and sit down to pure delight!


Mamma's Cocoa Gravy


In a saucepan put 3 heaping Tablespoons (mamma uses a big cooking spoon) of Hershey's cocoa, 6 heaping spoonfuls of sugar and 3 heaping spoonfuls of flour.  Stir together, add and stir in a pinch of salt.  Slowly stir in a can of evaporated milk, mixing well.  Next add water.  Mamma takes her saucepan over to the sink and adds a little less than half of what is in the saucepan.  Stir constantly over medium high heat till it gets thick.  Careful not to let it stick.  Then add one teaspoon of vanilla.  Stir that in and you are done.


Now for the best part.  Fill your bowl, add a dab of butter and eat with your favorite homemade biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment