Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Yo-Yo Christmas Tree Garland

 For as long as I can remember we have strung popcorn for our Christmas tree.  This is a tradition my family did when I was a child and a tradition that I carried over into my adult life and began with my own family.  I remember as a child, gathering in the family room with big bowls of popcorn and stringing garland while we watched our favorite television show.  Of course, I also remember that my dad ate more than he strung. lol

There was one year with me and my kids will never forget.  I had just popped the popcorn over the stove when I hear  "it's back on"  I can't even remember now what we were watching (this was before dvr's entered our life).  So I grab the pan of popcorn and run to the family room and lay it on the floor.  Me and the kids continue to string.  Quite a while later I go to move the pan and it was STUCK!!!  I did not think about it being hot when I sat it down and it melted to the carpet!  What a mess I had.  I was in a panic and the kids were laughing, then I began laughing...and well...the carpet got a hair cut that night. hehe!

This year I decided to do something different and make yo-yo Christmas tree garland.  It was a lot of work, but I absolutely love the way it looks.  My daughter helped, but my son refused to pick up a needle and thread. Ha!  I didn't push it either. ;)  He was a little bummed about the no popcorn thing but since the last few years I have been doing most of the stringing it was not to hard to convince that this was the way to go.  Who knows, next year we may go back to the old tradition of popcorn garland, but for this year I am enjoying the beauty of my yo-yo tree!


I used two different sizes of yo-yo's.  I also chose not to go with Christmas material.  I went with reds and whites!  It reminds me of candy canes!


 Now I think I'll make a matching yo-yo Christmas Tree skirt!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm here via pinterest!
    I see this is an old post but hopefully you still get your blog comments. I've been having so much fun making yos yos and doing all sorts of things with them. I'm going to try this on my tree this year. I tried making a garland that would hang on the wall but they wanted to twist and turn... ♥

    ReplyDelete