Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fresh Garden Salsa for Canning

Last year I found a recipe for the best salsa ever.  I know I posted about it once, (see that post here) but it is so good I thought I would share it again.  This year I was able to can 14 jars!  I've also made plenty of fresh for enjoying now.  So Yummy!

Ingredients:

8 Cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onions
1 ½ cups green peppers
1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped (use more or less for personal taste)
6 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (12 oz) can tomato paste

Drain the tomatoes as you are chopping them and drain them several times while they are in the pan before you cook them.  This is a VERY important step.  Drain, drain, drain and then drain again. This will give you a nice chunky salsa.

Mix all ingredients together and bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes. 

Fill hot jars with salsa, put hot lids and rims and and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment