Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Winnowing Season - A Book Review

When it comes to Amish fiction Cindy Woodsmall is probably my favorite author.   I love her detailed writing style that pulls me right into the story where I feel like I am a part of the adventure itself.

The Winnowing Season is book two of the Amish Vines and Orchards Series and this book picks up right where the first book leaves off.  I would definitely recommend reading the first book before this one.  This is NOT a good stand alone book.  It had been about six months since I read the first book in the series and I still had a hard time remembering, so even if you have read the first book already you may want to skim back over it to refresh your memory with the story line.  One helpful thing that the Author included before chapter one was a "Our Story So Far" section which I thought was a great idea, however it was not  detailed enough to catch me up to speed.

So with that being said....I really did struggle with the first few chapters.  The story line seemed all over the place and I was more confused than anything, but once I got deeper into the story I started reconnecting with the characters I fell in love with in book one of this series and by the end of the book I did not want to put it down.  Rhoda is such an interesting character and it seems that trouble follows her no matter where she goes.  The chemistry between her and Samuel is undeniable and I loved reading about Landon and Leah's budding relationship and can't wait to see where the writer takes them.

The book ends in a way that leaves you hanging and wanting more.  Here I find myself in the same position I was after reading the first book...impatiently waiting for the next book in the series.  Hopefully though the next book will start with more of a bang. :)

***This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment