Sunday, December 2, 2012

At Every Turn by Anne Mateer - A Book Review

The year is 1916 and Alyce Benson is a young whirlwind of a girl who tends to make decisions on a whim.  She also has the need for speed.  She loves automobiles and with new advancements in the car engine the automobile can now reach speeds up to 70 miles per hour!  Her passion for speed is a secret she hides from her family who would disapprove.

One day while at church Alyce spontaneously pledges three thousand dollars to mission work in Africa.  She is certain that her dad will give her the money, regardless for his feelings towards church.  When she tells her dad he refuses her the money and now she finds her self in quite the predicament.  She must raise the money herself, but she keeps acting on impulse and giving any little bit of money she earns away to other people with needs.  She must find a way to earn money and quick.  There is a race with a cash reward....she conspires with her father's mechanic, Webster to train and compete without anyone knowing.

To be honest, I did not really care for this book.  I am not a fan of first person narrative and this book is written this way and I also was just not feeling the racing part.   Perhaps it's just not my thing.  I do love Christian historical fiction, but I just couldn't seem to find this story believable or appealing to my interest.  There were however some good thought provoking points, one important one was that there are needs all around us and we can serve and show God's love to those in need often times in our own community.  We don't always have to go looking elsewhere, God's work may be right in front of us.

*** I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment