Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Four Weddings and a Kiss - A Book Review

I love to read well written short stories.  In Four Weddings and a Kiss you get just that.  Four well written short stories by four different authors.  It's a great way to sample some writings from different authors.  The authors featured in the book are Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Mary Connealy and Robin Lee Hatcher.  Each novella is set in the west and features a young lady and gentlemen who seem mismatched for each other, but somehow find love and make it to the alter.

The book begins with four pastors sitting around a fire and they begin to share stores of some mismatched couples that they've married and the four stories shared are the stories of the pastors.  I thought it was a cute way to start the book out and a neat way to connect all the stories.

The first story was Spitfire Sweetheart by Mary Connealy.  I knew I would like this story because I really like Mary Connealy writing's and you know what?  I was right.  It was a cute story about rough and tough Maizy who was raised by her pa and would rather wear britches than dresses, and about Rylan a young rancher who get's hurt because of Maizy.  Her pa decides that Maizy will take care of Rylan until he is better - while dressed and acting like a woman.

The second story is A Love Letter to the Editor by Robin Lee Hatcher.  It is about Molly who is a columnist for her father's newspaper.  Her father hires Jack to edit the newspaper and Molly resents his position, but it doesn't take long for sparks to fly between them.   I really didn't care for this story.  For some reason I couldn't seem to connect with the characters and the story line.

The third story was my absolute favorite!  A Cowboy for Katie by Debra Clopton is about Katie who lives on a ranch with her dad, but when a tornado hits their ranch and destroys her home and kills her father Katie seems to go over the edge.  Most of the town people thinks she's crazy and Katie is beginning to wonder the same thing.  She hires Treb, a cowboy with wanderlust to rebuild her home and the sparks that fly between them are undeniable.  This book is filled with compassion and romance that had my heart fluttering.  I am definitely going to be looking in to more of Debra Clopton's books as this was the first one I have read of hers.

The fourth and final story is Courting Trouble by Margaret Brownley.  This story is about Brock, a lawyer who is called to defend Grace aka the black widow.  She is on trial for the death of her husband.  This is her third husband and the other two have also died in a suspicious way.   The law states that you our innocent until proven guilty, but this is the wild west and not everyone plays by the rules.  I thought this was a cute story and would of been even better had it been longer.

I would definitely recommend this book if you like quick reads and are a fan of any of these author's!

***This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment