Monday, July 21, 2014

Super Stitches Sewing - A Book Review

Super Stitches Sewing is A Complete Guide to Machine-Sewing and Hand-Stitching Techniques by Nicole Vasbinder.

I was so excited when Super Stitches came in the mail and I got even more excited as I began to flip through the pages.  This book is loaded with so much information and beautiful illustrations that are easy for even the beginner sewer!

I have been sewing for about 10 years and most of what I know I have taught myself.  I usually stick to the basic stitches and I knew that I was not getting the full benefit of my sewing machine.  Super Stitches has opened up a whole new world for me.  I finally "get" what some of the other features of my machine do.  The book not only gives step by step instructions it shows step by step pictures so you can actually see what you are supposed to be doing.  An example of some of the things shown is how to do a zipper, button hole, hems and smocking and that is just to list a few.

In addition to all the great sewing machine techniques the book also covers hand stitches.  I was super excited about this feature as well.  I remember a few hand stitches from home economics, but that was quite a few years ago (I'm not telling how many).  Like the machine stitching the hand stitching section is complete with instructions and pictures.  A few examples of the stitches to be learned are the ladder stitch, darning, basting and the whip stitch and there are many more!

Another feature that I loved about the book is that the author includes a section on tools and equipment. This section describes the different kinds of needles and their uses for both machine and hand stitching, it shows and describes the different pressure foots and also the different kind of threads and their uses.

Whether you are just starting out as a seamstress or you have years of experience this is an amazing book that I know I will be referring back to for years to come!

As a homeschool mom I must add that this book is a great resource for teaching home economics as well!

***This book was provided to my by the publisher in exchange for my review.

1 comment: