Monday, July 21, 2014

Love Letters from the Edge - A Book Review

Love Letters from the Edge

MEDITATIONS for those STRUGGLING with BROKENNESS, TRAUMA, and the PAIN of LIFE

by Shelly Beach and Wanda Sanchez

I think it is safe to say that whoever you are, wherever you live, no matter what your circumstance in life, at some point you, or someone close to you has been affected by a traumatizing event.  Maybe it was abuse, (do you know that it is reported that one in every four women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime) or rape, maybe a medical trauma or the loss of a loved one.  There are so many things that can shake our lives and turn them upside down, leaving us feeling abandoned, afraid and alone.

I have experienced my share of "trauma".  I was a one in four.  I'll never forget the night that me and my kids fled in fear of our lives from our home.  The abuse had been going on for years, but that night....that night was different.  There was an eerie feeling in the air and things had been really bad for days.  I can honestly say that I have never been so scared before or since in my life.  I had been warned that he was going to "take care of us" once and for all and that night it was all getting ready to explode like never before.  In our pajamas with no money we fled, certain that if we stayed we would not survive.  We spent that night in a parking lot.  My nine year old slept in the back seat while me and my fourteen year sat in fear with each passing car, afraid that he was coming after us.  That night was a turning point in my life.  In the days following, with the help of family, a restraining order was issued and we relocated.  

After fourteen years in a tumultuous relationship I finally had the courage to stand on my own two feet.  It has been 7 years since that night and I can honestly say I am happy.  My kids are happy and we have come out stronger, but I would have never survived if it had not been for God, an awesome family and lots and LOTS of prayer! 

You may have a similar story, or maybe it's not a story, maybe it's your reality.  The events of your life may make my story pale in comparison.  Whatever the case I can tell you that there is a God that loves you.  He loves you so much that He wants to carry you through this dark time.  I know you feel broken, that you feel that no one cares.  That you are tired.  Just tired.  I know that feeling.  I know the feeling of crying till you can't cry anymore and then somehow the tears start falling again.  Feeling worthless.  That it is your fault.  That you deserve it.    You believe the lies you've been told.  "You're worthless, mental, crazy.  No one will believe you, you'll never make it on your own".  But I have one word for you...HOPE.  There is hope.  There is a BETTER LIFE.  There is HEALING.  I KNOW the God who can give it to you!  

If you are going through a difficult situation, something that has left you feeling depressed, anxious and maybe even considering self harm I encourage you to pray, to find someone to talk to, read the Bible and maybe the book Love Letters from the Edge can help you!  It is a 12 week book of meditations that will help you with some of your questions and frustrations that you are feeling.  The book has activities such as journaling, letter writing, art projects and more that will help you in your healing process and also build a stronger relationship with God.  

The book is written from two perspectives.  The first half of each entry is a letter from the brokenhearted to God.  The second half is God's love letter of response to his wounded child who has been hurt by sexual abuse, violence, abandonment, victimization, or other painful life events.  

I'd like to share a couple excerpts with you from the book.

From the wounded individual to God:

This thing called life has taken a toll on me God.  I'm beyond exhausted.  Weary, bone tired.  I don't feel like I can take another step.  Everywhere I turn, life pounds away at me, and I'm panicking.  With each passing day, I'm less able to pull myself together.  

I long for calm and quiet.  I struggle to remember what peace felt like.  I try to shut out the chaos in my head and listen for your voice, but exhaustion tells me to give up.  You seem so far away, and I just can't seem to hear you...

From God to the wounded:

Dear Child,  I feel the sting of sweat when it streams into your eyes.  I know the ache of illness, the burn of disappointment, and the exhaustion that suffocates sleep from you spirit.  I know the pounding of your heart when you cannot catch your breath.  I know the weight of weariness that bows you back and saps your spirits.  

I know because I took on flesh and blood, sweat and sorrow, betrayal and bruises to sit beside you in the dirt and the darkness, even when you did not see my face or my tears for you.  I know because I exchanged my strength for your weariness....


This is just a small sample of what is inside the pages of this book.  I encourage you to read and see for yourself that God loves you.  When all else fails, God never will.  He can be your rock!

This week you can get Love Letters from the Edge in ebook form for a special discounted price.  Just click HERE.

***This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my review.






No comments:

Post a Comment