Monday, March 28, 2011

Beautiful Lips....Homemade Lip Balm

I made lip balm today for the first time!  It was so easy and fun and I will definetly be making more.    I love making products that I know exactly what is in them.   There is a feeling of satisfaction that comes over me when I make something myself instead of purchasing it in the store.  It makes me feel all Susie homemaker.   It's a feeling of self reliance and proficiency.  I love chapsticks and lip balms and I know it's going to sound a little bias, but this is the best my lips have ever felt. :) So much better than a store bought product.  My lips feel so soft, smooth and fresh!  Here's the recipe I used:

3 tsp. grated beeswax (or pellets)
3 tsp. cocoa butter (can also use shea)
2 tsp.  olive oil (or other oil such as almond or coconut)
2 drops of honey
4 or 5 drops of spearamint flavored oil
1 vitamin E capsul (cut open and use liquid)

The vitamin E acts as a preservative and is optional.  This made enough to fill 4 chapstick tubes.  I purchased the tubes on ebay and I also purchased a pippet from ebay to fill the tubes which was much easier then trying to funnel the mixture.

There are so many  different recipes on the internet (just ask google) and I am going to be trying some different ones soon.  I think I wil try a wild berry next time and add a smidge of color. 

If you are wanting something all natural for your lips but don't want to take the time or spend the money to make lip balm I have a very simple mixture for you:

One drop Olive oil
One dropy Almond Oil
One drop Honey

That's it!  Apply to your lips before going to bed!

Remember....don't wait for you lips to get dry and chapped.  Apply lip balm on a regular basis and your lips will stay moisturized and soft and supple.

If your lips are already really dry and flakey try this great lip cure:

1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Mix together all ingredients and apply to your lips and leave on overnight. In the morning you will awake to smooth, soothed lips. If you have any mixture left it should be stored in the refrigerator because of the fresh lemon juice.  It's sort of like a deep conditioning treatment for your lips!

Beautiful lips are natural lips!


1 comment:

  1. I have never made the lip balm but I have made herbal soaps (they take almost 4-5 weeks to cure though ) , I also make and sell my own organic cremes ....I find it to be very relaxing and people love the way the cremes feel against their skin ....A few years back I started to blend my own herbal teas as well ....At first family and friends would test taste them then before I knew it more and more people were asking to purchase them ....I truly believe that the herbs and plants have health benefits and although they are not cures the plants can be an aide to symptomatic relief ....Keep up the good work !!

    ReplyDelete