Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Upcycled Denim Skirts from Recycled Jeans - It's what I do!

Several years ago I was at a church youth camp and noticed that some young teenage girls had on denim skirts that were made out of blue jeans.  They were so cute!   I knew I had to learn how to make them.   I went home and got right to it.   They are super easy to make and the skill of making them has been such a blessing in my life.   In more ways than you can imagine! 

As a mother I find it very difficult to find modest clothing for my daughter.   So being able to make her cute, fun and unique denim skirts has been a lifesaver!  

I also have used it as a way to earn a little extra spending money.  Mainly for Christmas, Birthday's, and anything extra that we need.   For instance...I will be going to a homeschool expo at the end of this month and selling these skirts are a way for me to be able to buy a few of the school books we need for next year.

It is also, in a sense, a ministry for me.  I offer my skirts at a very reasonable price.  Usually people are shocked when I tell them the price.    Knowing how hard it is to find decent clothing for young ladies, makes it all the more important to me to offer it to others.   It has been a blessing to me and I want to share that blessing with others.  

I Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

I've had several people ask me to share how I make the skirts.   I will eventually do that.   I'm thinking a blog tutorial with pictures will be the best.   I just have never taken the time to do that yet.  It's on my to-do list. :)  For now though I'll share a few picture of some of my  creations!!
 These jeans were laced on the side so I removed the original lacing and added a matching red ribbon on each side.  Also shown is the back view.   I love the little girl sizes that are small enough to use a bandanna.  They turn out so super cute!!

Another fun skirt made with a pink polka dot insert and a matching belt that could also be used as a headband!!
 Are you loving these yet???
 One more!!!
If you are convinced that your daughter would look so adorable in one of these skirts, shoot me a message and we'll talk!







7 comments:

  1. oh,my word!!! Those skirts are soooooo cute!!! I love anything that has to do with recycling jeans!!! Yes, I am definately loving them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEFINITELY LOVIN' THEM AS WELL ..... MAYBE EVEN FOR ME !! DO YOU DO WOMENS AS WELL SIZE 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have the way to make the jean skirts out of old jeans... I have two granddaughters I'd like to make them for... can you let me know? Thanks, Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Reva! I will be making some new skirts in the next week or so and I'll try to remember to take pictures and work on a step by step blog post on how it's done. In the meantime you are more than welcome to check out my ebay. I have several listed that are over tomorrow. Just go to this link: http://myworld.ebay.com/dotsanddaisies and click on items for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you still make these skirts, please contact me. Thanks! Teri Pierce skpmom@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you still make these skirts, please contact me. Thanks! Teri Pierce skpmom@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete